Monday, September 17, 2012

Change Starts With You

As each individual journeys further along into life- dreams tend to blur, happiness begins to dwindle, and that child-like expectation for life tends to kind of disappear. We submerge ourselves into the everyday routine and become members of society. Robots. Go to college for 4-6 years, build an impressive resume/portfolio, get a reputable job working from 9-5, save up money to go on vacations, buy a car, a house. Eventually get married, start a family, and repeat the cycle again. It's the "American Dream".

Only 45% of people are happy with their jobs. So, that means the other 55% of workers are thrilled to go home after a long, unhappy day just to sit in front of their TV and are doomed to repeat the cycle again in the morning. This cycle continues way past retirement age until the individual is forced to retire just so that they can "rest" and reap the hard work that they have sowed - which really means going on a few vacations, but probably being too tired to travel, while collecting social security checks that are too small to comfortably live on.

This is a brutal, uninspired cycle that really scares me. Over 19 million Americans suffer from depression. I've heard it from all of my international friends who say that "Americans don't know how to live life". Well, if this isn't life that I'm living, than what is it? Our living conditions are considered to be the wealthiest in the world (a rich person is not the one who has the most, but is one who needs the least) and yet we are the most depressed?

I don't have the answer or a solution to this, but I do wonder what it would be like if people just did what they loved. If as a society, we would just follow our hearts and become the best at our passions. Some say "there's no money doing what I'm passionate about" & I doubt that. There's money EVERYWHERE! For example: fashion, entertainment, beauty, etc... They are ALL billion dollar industries looking for new talent all the time! It's the same with corporate America, finance, engineering, medical, etc... the baby boomers are getting older and are looking to this generation for innovation and passion.
Like NASA's mohawk guy!

We have a lot to offer and a different perspective on how the world works. Why not embrace it? I definitely agree that our generation is more focused on being happy than any other and it is our job to keep the real American Dream alive. If you do what you love and work hard at it, you have the chance to live a life full of color, positivity, happiness, possibilities, and success.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. Very wise and thought provoking! :)
    S. Zelleke