Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Deprivation


It's so easy to caught up in everyday life. I was just driving down a major highway on the way home when I realized that everyone was just driving away their life, the same as me, on auto pilot- mentally & physically. 

It was a weird and shaking thought. Everyone is just going from point A to point B, driving the same roads & usually seeing the same people, having familiar conversations and tasks. Then the weekend comes & being right on cue, everyone heads out to do their regular weekend activities. What is unfortunate about this is the cycle and its discreteness. Oh, how easy it is to get caught in this content, familiar lifestyle. 

I never wanted it, I never planned on having it. 

I personally know many people who LOVE this specific, predictable lifestyle. But then again, we're all different. Some friends I have always looked forward to the quiet, safe, cubical life. There's nothing wrong with that, but I can't help but challenge it. 

Were we made to stay destitute to a concrete jungle, working like robots, only communicating via technology while barely noticing the nature, beauty, and life around us? There's a whole other world out there just waiting to be seen and explored. There are species, life, and culture outside of our own. I don't think we were made to not ever see anything outside of ourselves. 

Everywhere that I've visited outside of the U.S. has their own idea of how to live life, usually being a life that includes others with leisure time. New acquaintances would tell me that I didn't know how to have fun and my idea of "living" was tainted. They said I didn't know how to live.


It was weird, kind of offensive, and made me feel like I had been lied to or deprived my whole existence.





Have I been?



No comments:

Post a Comment